Writing a Chord with diminished third in NNS?

jrbenriquez

Hi guys!

Just wanted to ask how do you write a specific chord with a diminished third in the system.
*Correct me if I'm wrong but basically a minor chord with the minor third taken down one more semitone - thus me calling it diminished?

For now I write it in the app as i.e 1mb (b is superscripted)

Thanks in advance!

jrbenriquez

Yeah, very interesting indeed (in theory at least).

I guess 1(dim3) looks easily recognizable - suprised I didn't think of using the dim superscript. lol

Thanks though!

Last edited:

jac

Yeah, very interesting indeed (in theory at least).

I guess 1(dim3) looks easily recognizable - suprised I didn't think of using the dim superscript. lol

Thanks though!
I just bought 1Chart and am browsing the forums. Don't know if you still have this question. A diminished chord IS NOT a minor chord with the 3rd flattened an additional semitone. A diminished chord is basically a minor chord with the 5th flattened in addition to the 3rd.
Major chord = 1 3 5
Minor chord = 1 b3 5
Diminished chord = 1 b3 b5

1chart can notate a diminished chord out of the box.
1] Type the number
2] Tap the 3rd key on the bottom row of the chord symbols. The key shows + 0 and a 0 with a line through it. That pops up a menu for a variety of chords, including diminished, half-diminished, altered, augmented, ... The result is a superscripted "dim".

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for clarifying, @jac! I interpreted the question as relating to a "double-flat" third, which may have been less than helpful.