"Square" for indicating an extra beat

Ovaltine52

Hi Mark, hi all. I wasn't sure where to post this, & since this is about a symbol I noticed on a handwritten # chart & that I'd like to open this for discussion, this must be the place. :D

Just FYI, I'm an old "has been" studio guy, & though I've been around, I'm definitely not closed to learning new interpretations/new tricks.

I do a LOT of writing/arranging/transcribing for family shows, churches, & other venues with Sibelius as my go to app though I have both Finale & Dorico. That said, I not only have 1Chart but really enjoy using it. (No schmooze intended) So here goes:

A few moons back, I was put in a position where I had access to other #charts. Some were correct, some weren't. On one of the charts that was correct (proper NNS notations), I noticed that a square that surrounded the # like the diamond or dorito was used to indicate one extra beat. The song I'm referring to has a 3/4 time signature with a 4/4 bar showing up around bar 7 & then back to 3/4. I would normally indicate the time signature change, but I liked the square as it got the same results with less scribble on the page.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there for further thoughts. Thankew!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, that's a good one! That's pretty convenient shorthand for an extra beat.

Have you checked out the Format Measure > Box option in 1Chart? Might give you the same effect? Like this...

p.s. "has been"? Not buying it. :)

Ovaltine52

WooHoo!!

Not only did your suggestion work perfectly, but I was also able to use the hash marks in such a way that there's no mistaking that there needs to be an extra beat. I probably didn't need to use the 3 hash marks on the 2-, but using the one hash mark as well as the square goof proofs it that much more.

After reading your suggestion I was concerned that 1Chart would not box in the 5 since I put it in as one measure, that it would only box/underline if there's more than one chord. Not so! Worked great. I uploaded the file for all to see.

Since the 1-2 guys I've observed use the square for an extra beat, (I've also seen it as a circle, but most often as a square) I was just wondering if anyone else out there does it this way. Indicating time signatures would be the obvious, but this does neat things up more.

GREAT suggestion, Mark. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! Glad that does the trick. Thanks for the example pdf.

I've seen the box used as a way to tighten up the look of measures with a lot of rhythm notation, but the use you've described makes perfect sense. As long as everyone agrees up front on the meaning of the formatting!

One option I want to mention: You can also long-press "end measure" to select the box format. More of an "in-the-flow-of-things" way of getting the same formatting.

Ovaltine52

Roger that. I'm always happy to learn new tricks/shortcuts, thankew.

And what's great as well is that I like to use underlines, & I can use the boxes & the underlines stay underlines going from one to the other. Nice!

Steve

Is there a way to eliminate the underline and box completely. I don't really need them. Thanks!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Right now there's no way to eliminate both the underline and box, but I'll make a note to add a "no formatting" option in a future version. Thanks for bringing this up, Steve.

Jsturms01

Hi Mark, hi all. I wasn't sure where to post this, & since this is about a symbol I noticed on a handwritten # chart & that I'd like to open this for discussion, this must be the place. :D

Just FYI, I'm an old "has been" studio guy, & though I've been around, I'm definitely not closed to learning new interpretations/new tricks.

I do a LOT of writing/arranging/transcribing for family shows, churches, & other venues with Sibelius as my go to app though I have both Finale & Dorico. That said, I not only have 1Chart but really enjoy using it. (No schmooze intended) So here goes:

A few moons back, I was put in a position where I had access to other #charts. Some were correct, some weren't. On one of the charts that was correct (proper NNS notations), I noticed that a square that surrounded the # like the diamond or dorito was used to indicate one extra beat. The song I'm referring to has a 3/4 time signature with a 4/4 bar showing up around bar 7 & then back to 3/4. I would normally indicate the time signature change, but I liked the square as it got the same results with less scribble on the page.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there for further thoughts. Thankew!
Actually, the Box is typically used to indicate a "half measure. for example, If you are in 4/4 time, and you need a 2/4 bar, surround the chord, or chords with a box and it becomes a 2/4 bar. Same in 6/8 or 6/4. Box designates 3 beats. Brackets are used as well for this. If you use the format measure box, you can basically make it any time signature you wish, with the help of the hash marks. The Box becomes an alert to the reader that something is different about that measure lol.

Ovaltine52

Jsturms01:
That makes sense. Honestly, the only time I've ever seen the box used was in 3/4 time. The box indicated one beat. I knew this had to be right as I've seen this particular song in standard notation many times.

Sounds good to me. Works sort of like a dot (standard notation), yeah? Increases the time by half.

I enjoyed getting this, haven't heard from anyone on 1Chart in awhile. Thanks, Jsturms01!

Thinking on the box thing, the old Hank Williams tune; "Lovesick Blues" comes to mind. ;)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I'm very familiar with Hank. It's funny how songwriters often don't think about symmetry the same way musicians do. A 2/4 bar here, a 3/4 bar there. Let's add a measure just for good measure lol.
So true. John Lennon is another example, throwing in an extra beat here or there. Or taking one out. So John and Hank have that in common. ;)

Jsturms01

Hmm, that's a good one! That's pretty convenient shorthand for an extra beat.

Have you checked out the Format Measure > Box option in 1Chart? Might give you the same effect? Like this...

p.s. "has been"? Not buying it. :)
Hey Mark.

I finished all of those Elvis charts I was telling you about. I can send you a few along with the notation charts that I used to create them for comparison.

While creating them I had a thought. Things like Coda, Sign, endings and repeats all fall under the category of Repeats. Instead of having a dialogue box with just "Endings", You could have a drop down menu with all of the repeats. That could also include things like Fine, Da Capo, and all of the endings I mentioned above. All in their neat little repeat box. That could create a space for dynamics perhaps, pppp to ffff, sfz, etc.

Another tought was to include certain common dynamic markings. I know that several of these are directly pulled from traditional notation, but I never dreamed I'd be converting big band parts into numbers, and now after about 40 charts for the rhythm section, I definitely saw a potential for some additional tools. Maybe an advanced toolkit or two as an in app purchase? I've just been brain storming.

Thanks for listening to my rant
Jeff

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting... Anything that consolidates similar characters/functions is a good move. I'll follow up with you by email about specific examples, and about the dynamics suggestion. Thanks for the ideas. Ideas that happen while "in the flow" using the app are really helpful.