Sorry... dumb possibly repetitive question

is there a hub like Ultimate Guitar where people are posting 1chart songs for sharing and trading? I've looked but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
There's nothing out there that I'm aware of. There are copyright issues that come into play... Ultimate Guitar apparently has licensing deals with publishers, or at least some publishers.

There's nothing out there that I'm aware of. There are copyright issues that come into play... Ultimate Guitar apparently has licensing deals with publishers, or at least some publishers.
Gotcha. I wondered how that worked. Thanks for the reply.

Man... if there were some way to get around that or start a site that somehow had permission, that would be great.

A Napster for 1Charts!

Love that idea - although yeah, it would be difficult to get around the copyright issues.

That said...Facebook allows friends to share files. It's how my band shares gig information...anyone up for joining a group? New to the notation system, but after depping with quite a few bands here in the UK, I wish I'd discovered this sooner!!

Love that idea - although yeah, it would be difficult to get around the copyright issues.

That said...Facebook allows friends to share files. It's how my band shares gig information...anyone up for joining a group? New to the notation system, but after depping with quite a few bands here in the UK, I wish I'd discovered this sooner!!
I am

Maybe someone can educate me on the copyright issues involved in posting 1Chart versions of copyrighted songs. A quick google search reveals that chord progressions can not be copyrighted. Melodies can be copyrighted but not chord changes. Since 1Chart only deals in chords what are the copyright issues? Thanks, Bill

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
The topic of music copyright gets complicated pretty quickly, and I don't profess to be a legal expert on the matter (which is why I've had to consult with others on it). But basically, when thinking about a chart that documents chords + arrangement + rhythmic detail, you've got something that can run afoul of copyright. Or, stated more from the creator's point of view... something that is rightfully protected.