Push symbol enhancements

bw99

Push notations are something I see quite a bit of variance in from different chart authors. It seems there's always a little verbal explanation needed. Some people use < and > for pushes ahead and behind the downbeat respectively. Not bad, but what if I want to use > as an accent symbol?
I like Jim Riley's convention of marking the push < above and slightly ahead or slightly behind the chord symbol. (http://jimrileymusic.com/pdf/number_system_part2.pdf ) I don't see a way to notate this in 1Chart. Would be nice if you could add a space bar character when entering push symbols so they can appear ahead or behind the chord symbol.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's almost like pushes are a personal thing — lots of different styles. The 8th-note variation I've attached here is another option within 1Chart (there's also a 16th-note version). Using that variation would leave > available to signify an accent. But of course, not everyone is going to like the 8th-note variation!

8th_push.png

The > symbol shown "slightly before or after" idea is nice — makes things clearer. Noted!

Morse Bicknell

Yes, was wondering if I was missing something-- it would definitely be nice to be able to offset the "push" symbol, as de Clerq does in his Fake Book (see partial screenshot). As it is in the app, they just look like accents to me, at least at first glance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 7.00.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 7.00.18 PM.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 2

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
The eighth- (and 16th-) note options are offset left, emphasizing the "push" idea — might be something to check out to see if you like the looks of those. The 8th-note option is shown in my post above.

Right now the angle-style pushes show up in-line with the chord they're sitting over, mainly due to the different ways they're used (sometimes for ahead of downbeat, sometimes for behind). We do have it on the wish list to offer a preference for offsetting these in either direction.

Morse Bicknell

The eighth- (and 16th-) note options are offset left, emphasizing the "push" idea — might be something to check out to see if you like the looks of those. The 8th-note option is shown in my post above.

Right now the angle-style pushes show up in-line with the chord they're sitting over, mainly due to the different ways they're used (sometimes for ahead of downbeat, sometimes for behind). We do have it on the wish list to offer a preference for offsetting these in either direction.
Cool, thanks, Mark.