Overview: Auria recording app

arco

Although most of us would have played around with Garageband when we first got our iPads, it is not like any standard computer DAW (ProTools Logic, Studio One, Cubase etc.) many of us would be used to.

I started using Auria with an early version that ran on iPad 1 and over the years have completed several projects since then. I (still) regard Auria as primarily a top quality recording app (recording was all it did) but with the addition of midi, synths and instruments, it functions fully like other DAWs.
Hopefully this overview is useful for other users of 1Chart who are interested in recording.

There are two versions but the cheaper LE version can be upgraded to the Pro version (comparison on their website, URL below). Auria has all the features you would expect from a high quality audio app—compressors, reverbs, EQ, delays, chorus, limiting etc. with a small (but professional) range of plugins and samples for additional purchase.

The (landscape) audio editing page showing each track’s waveforms horizontally is easy to zoom in and out for splitting, editing, moving, copy/paste which are all easy to execute. The mixer page works in both landscape and portrait—the latter providing a very nice long throw (especially on the iPad Pro 12.9!) for the channel faders. Compared to recording and editing on computer (together with mouse and key commands), I find using the iPad slower (using taps, swipes etc.) but everything is there for a normal project (just watch your available disk space). Some flash drives are supported for export, making the process a very easy transfer to your computer for additional work in another DAW or for backup.

Not all audio interfaces will work with the iPad, but the support website has a list of those that are specifically compatible.

Most interfaces have midi so you can add tracks using Auria’s Lyra sampler or its synths, or use Audiobus (or Apple’s inter-app audio) with your other synth/sampler apps to buss into an Auria recording track.

Its synths provide a decent range of sounds and provide the usual editing of waveforms with filters, LFOs and envelopes as you would expect; with several sample formats supported by Lyra.

There is no score editor unfortunately (although some I have used in the past are so basic as to be almost useless) but there is a piano roll editor.

Using Auria with the iPad Pro 12.9 feels very luxurious, more efficient and functional than on the standard 9.7 (or mini!) iPad screen sizes and it has the processing power to cope with many more effects in real time (which probably means we just keep on adding more and more before having to use the freeze function) :) but I would think most of their users are using it with the 9.7.

The app is expensive compared to an average iOS app, but it is aimed at professionals who appreciate the high quality, detail, features, dedicated development and support time (plus we’ve all had to pay $$ in the past for our audio software so this is cheap).

It has a vibrant community at its forum and active technical support from both the developer and other helpful professionals.

-----
Attachments:

1 shows a midi track with the sound menu from one of the built-in synths and a list of IAA apps it found on my iPad; below, a recorded (via AudioBus) waveform track from Korg’s Module app.

2 shows the top part of the mixer channels; on top, a compressor window for subgroup; on the right, a menu for other effects for the master strip.

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria
(current version at time of writing v2.04)

Some other alternatives:
GarageBand
Music Studio
Cubasis
Multitrack DAW

I have no association with the developer other than having purchased Auria.

Attachments

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
it has the processing power to cope with many more effects in real time (which probably means we just keep on adding more and more before having to use the freeze function) :)
So true. :)

Thanks for the review, arco. Great to see iOS apps like this becoming more full-featured over time.

Any latency issues or special accommodations you're making for latency vs. a laptop/desktop?

arco

My main audio interface has a mix setting where any audio being recorded (at its inputs) is also routed directly back to the headphones (or outputs) along with the previously recorded tracks so you can hear your instrument (guitar, bass, keys) without any latency. I have used other simple interfaces (an instrument jack and headphones) and not had any problems either.

Auria has latency (and related) settings (see attached). I have not done any large track count of more than about 15 on the iPad, but others seem to use it for much bigger projects (where I would use my Macbook Pro instead) and I do not usually need to use a high number of individual effects on each track. Some (more expensive) audio interfaces have on-board DSP processing where you can use their effects on the inputs (so Auria does not need to do this). (Often you use a simple reverb as reference for a singer so their sound is not dry in their headphones). I have not had any problems with midi recording a piano sound (playing the usual chords, sustain pedal, runs) using Auria’s Lyra or an instrument app running through AudioBus, but usually they are recorded in the first few tracks before other tracks are added.

I usually use the lowest latency number (if I remember to check it at all) and increase if I get any glitching or audio stuttering. Mostly though, I don’t really think about it. The recording process can be made quite CPU efficient—use only essential effects on the tracks (others can be added as necessary nearer mix time); temporarily freeze tracks; disable the effects globally (Auria has a setting) while recording or some individually; mute non-essential tracks not needed for the recording; show the CPU meter and check it from time to time as the recorded tracks increase.

[slightly related]
Apple’s iOSs and Mac OSs have very low audio latency (good) by design (intention) but the Android OS has had inherently high audio latency (bad) until recently. Samsung created their own low latency audio pathway but audio apps have had to specifically code for it (and musicians purchase their devices). This explains why there have not been many audio apps for Android (related to recording, DAW, effects, amp simulators etc.) until recently. (Some developers like IK Multimedia are gradually making progress on audio apps for Android after many years of developing for iOS.)

On my Surface Pro 4 I used to run Acoustica Mixcraft, and now Presonus Studio One and have had to play around with latency settings more frequently (I suspect it is Windows 10) however I usually default to Logic for any substantial recording project.
(I can start a project in Auria and later easily export the tracks to computer for completion.)

-----
For those interested in Android audio latency there have been many references to this over the years, but here is just one:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...g-better-especially-with-the-nexus-5x-and-6p/
(There is also an explanation there about what latency is for those who don’t know much about what we are discussing.)

Attachments

Last edited: