Multiple chords per measure

jac

I must be missing something - but I can't figure out how to enter two chords per measure. Example - song is 4/4. I'm aligning measures and showing the measure guidelines. I want chords on beats 1 and 3 of each measure. I want this:
C G | C D | C G | C D

First try - I type C, G, End Measure and it underlines C and G, meaning C on beat 1, G on beat 2, 3, 4. Or C on 1 and G on the and-of-1.
Second try - I type C, Big Dot, G and it immediately moves the G to the 2nd measure.
Third try - I start a new chart and choose the Freeform template. I type C,G and it underlines them.

How do I enter multiple chord and NOT have them underlined?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Hi jac, by standard practice, your first try is correct. An underlined measure with two chords can be assumed to be evenly split between the two chords — unless there's rhythm notation indicating otherwise.

I've attached a screenshot that can be read as four evenly split measures. In other words, for the first measure, C is on beat 1, and G is on beat 3. "Align measures" is on in this example. Hope that helps!

multichord.jpeg

jac

So measures are ALWAYS underlined or boxed if more than 1 chord? That gets very hard to read when the charts have a lot of chords - especially with rhythmic notation as the rhythms on a lower row are too close to the underlines on an upper row. Those vertical gridlines do a great job of making it clear what's in each measure. The underlines, at that point, are superfluous and distracting. Any way to turn them off? See below. It would be easier to read without the underlines.

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 8.47.26 PM.jpg

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
You're just about to convince me. The underline is such a fundamental thing in the number system that it's taking me a minute to get there. :)

I will add this to the list for consideration, with any "Underlines off" option probably being available only in "Align measures" mode.... since, thinking of your chart as an example, underlines off combined with "Align measures" off would get confusing, like a sea of single-chord measures.

Thanks for bringing this up.

jac

Exactly. The whole point of the underline/box is to define a measure so that it's not just a long line of chords running together. But the vertical gridlines do that job. As they define the measures, the underlines/boxes aren't needed. So rather than defining a measure with only underline or box, we should be able to define a measure with underline, box, or gridline. Having the underlines AND the gridlines is like both underlining AND boxing a measure. Really hope this makes it to an update soon. Some of my charts are really cluttered when those wonderful gridlines are on. Thanks for considering it. I understand the underlines are fundamental to NN. But hey. Progress baby!