Legend for rhythmic symbols?

jac

The top bar of the entry area in 1chart offers rhythmic notations:
tick mark, solid circle, solid triangle, greater than, less than
Switch to the "note" and the entry area offers diamonds, upside down triangles, more...

I know a few of these. Tick mark is to indicate number of beats per chord, solid dot is a hard stop, diamond around number is a hold...

Is there a key/map/legend that explains all the symbols?
  • What does a solid-up-triangle above a chord mean?
  • What does a hollow-down-triangle around the chord mean?
  • What does a small hollow-down-triangle above the chord mean?
  • What does a small hollow diamond above a chord mean?
  • What do the diagonal arrows (in the DS section) mean?

jac

That's exactly what I was looking for. I know NN isn't really standardized - there are many variations and personal preferences. So just to confirm a few things:
  1. Mute Dot (solid dot above), Marcato (solid up-triangle above), Dorito big (chord wrapped in large down triangle), and Dorito small (small hollow down triangle above chord) all mean the same thing. Personal preference which is used. All four mean "play and then mute quickly".
  2. Diamonds. Wrapping the chord in a big diamond or displaying a small hollow diamond above a chord mean the same thing. Play and hold. Personal preference which is used.
Am I right?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Short answer is, yes, that's right for both 1 and 2. Longer answer for #1:

All those characters have the same meaning, but somehow I think of the Dorito as being reserved for cases where the entire band is playing-then-muting at a particular moment. Whereas the Mute Dot and Marcato could be used in cases where just your instrument is playing-then-muting. That said, at the moment I can't really think of two practical examples (songs!) showing the distinction.

Reactions: jac