Collaborating on Charts

Hi Mark,

Been championing the use of 1Chart with different band mates, some of whom have now switched over to this. Currently we are using Dropbox to upload copies of 1Chart files to move them backwards and forwards. However it does mean we are moving around copies and need to be really careful with version control. Most of our band members do other transcriptions so use Forescore as the my main holder/viewer of the sheet music..including 1Chart pdf output. So use I 1chart essentially as the development tool.

So my question is; Is there a better way of collaborating on charts that you can think of? Suppose rather than having them save on the iPad, could there be the option of automatically saving to a cloud location and be accessible/auto syncing from there?

Would be really interested in your thoughts with this as could see this being massively useful.

Many thanks

Chris

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for spreading the word about 1Chart, Chris!

Version control can be tricky, so I completely understand your question. If I'm answering as a developer, I'll say I don't know of a magic solution to the challenge, at least not with the tools currently available. Even Apple's iCloud collaboration tools, which aren't available to the developer community, don't solve this 100% in my opinion.

If I'm answering as a 1Chart user, it's more of a matter of having to manage the files to make sure I have the latest version. I know that's not ideal.

If anyone else has ideas about the best ways to manage files that are being created and edited, please chime in. Pinging @Sam V. :)

bw99

How about an option of specifying a default save location when creating a chart? Like Chris, I'm collaborating with another user on a chart book. Once either of us creates a chart, we have to export it and save to our shared Dropbox folder. Make a change? That's another export step (boo!) What if I could specify the save location prior to creating the chart? Instead of the default internal storage, I could specify my shared Dropbox folder for a save location. That setting could remain sticky until I'm done with that project, at which time, I can just toggle it back to save on the local device.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
How about an option of specifying a default save location when creating a chart? Like Chris, I'm collaborating with another user on a chart book. Once either of us creates a chart, we have to export it and save to our shared Dropbox folder. Make a change? That's another export step (boo!) What if I could specify the save location prior to creating the chart? Instead of the default internal storage, I could specify my shared Dropbox folder for a save location. That setting could remain sticky until I'm done with that project, at which time, I can just toggle it back to save on the local device.
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to outline an approach for this.

I have had this same thought. I’m a huge fan of 1Chart. I’m evangelizing all my friends, but version control is a BIG headache. My band (a cover band) currently uses Apple Music to work through the evolution and storage of set lists. I make a playlist in AM and share it with my band mates. Any change I make to the playlist is automatically updated to them, including adds, deletes, order changes. As chart maker for our band, I would SO appreciate a similar function for 1Chart.

And speaking as a product owner for a software team, I have a strong sense a feature like this, while not small, would greatly increase the traction for 1Chart. Picture this. My band has a set list in a 1Chart notebook, and at final rehearsal before a gig we decide to drop 1 song, add 2 songs, change the order of 2 songs, and make changes to 3 charts. Being the chart owner, I simply make changes on my shared notebook DURING rehearsal, and the entire band is updated immediately. We continue rehearsal with the changes made. By the time we leave rehearsal we are confident that all have accurate charts to use for any final practice and during the gig if needed. Mark, that’s HUGE! I don’t see how bands would live without 1Chart going forward.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Robert, thanks for the feedback. Good stuff, and I understand where you're coming from, with the Apple Music playlist analogy.